Junior Alexander Manon, an otherwise healthy 18 year old black teenager, died on May 5, 2010 while being forcibly restrained by Toronto Police officers Mike Adams and Stuart Blower. The cause of death, according to the Chief Forensic Pathologist, arises directly from how Junior was restrained by the officers– ie. positional asphyxia. Excited delirium has been ruled out by Dr. Pollanen. Initially Junior Manon ran from police who were trying to arrest him for a driving offence. According to some eyewitnesses to portions of the altercation, Mr. Manon was on the ground in a defenceless position with at least one officer on top of him. Officers were seen using headlocks and punches and one officer was seen striking Junior Manon with his portable police radio.

The Inquest into the death of Junior Manon began on January 16, 2012, and was completed in April, 2012, with the jury ruling the cause of his death at the hands of two Toronto Police officers to be “restraint asphyxia.”  Lawyers Julian Falconer, Julian Roy and Asha James represented the Manon Family at the Inquest, and in their civil suit.

 Related Documents

Statement of Claim. November 3, 2011
Jury’s Verdict. May 8, 2012
Manon Family’s motion. January 20, 2012
Manon Family’s written submissions. January 20, 2012

In The News

Toronto Policeman Feared Teen who Died In Custody   CBC, January 24, 2012

Toronto Policeman Testifies at Manon Inquest   CBC, January 27, 2012

Toronto Officer Recounts Violent Struggle Moments Before Junior Manon Died   National Post, January 27, 2012

Second Officer Testifies at Manon Inquest   Toronto Sun, February 8, 2012

Officer Tells His Story at Manon Inquest   Toronto Sun, January 27, 2012

Manon’s Death ‘Worst Case Scenario’: Police Officer   CBC, January 30, 2012

Senior Cop Thought Teen Had a Pulse   Toronto Star, February 10, 2012

Manon Family Wants G20 Report Heard at Inquest   Toronto Sun, January 23, 2012

Coroners Jury Says Junior Manon’s Death was Accidental   CBC, May 8, 2012


Case Team