Inquest Into the Deaths of Seven First Nations Youth: Update
The Inquest into the Deaths of Seven First Nations Youth continues this week in Thunder Bay. Lawyers Julian Falconer, Julian Roy, and Meaghan Daniel, of Falconers LLP, are in attendance on behalf of Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN).
Young people in Thunder Bay need more help to stay safe. Meaghan Daniel, on behalf of NAN, suggested the following five changes to improve student safety:
- Dedicated funding to send home-sick students home to visit their parents
- More student support workers
- Education to increase awareness about racism for First Nations students arriving in Thunder Bay, and also for city residents.
- A crisis fund for emergencies, such as when students go missing.
- A staff member specifically dedicated to keeping parents informed about their child’s school and social life.
In the News
First Nations student deaths inquest: 5 things Nishnawbe Aski Nation wants CBC, February 8, 2016