27th National Indigenous Peoples Day to Celebrate Community Diversity
Today is the 27th annual National Indigenous Peoples Day on Turtle Island (Canada). This day is about celebrating and honouring Indigenous heritage, diversity, and culture, and recognizing the achievements of Indigenous peoples throughout Canada. Indigenous Peoples Day occurs on June 21st, coinciding with the Summer Solstice, a day which has been celebrated in Indigenous communities since time immemorial as the longest day of the year.
We are reminded on this important day that each of us has an important role in achieving Reconciliation, and Falconers LLP is committed to continuing a path of Reconciliation with Indigenous communities across Canada. A good first step learning about the history of the Indigenous people in Canada, and to recognize that the land we now work and play on has been inhabited by Indigenous people since time immemorial.
Falconers LLP encourages members of the GTA and all Canadians to become involved in the celebrations of Indigenous community and culture. Some ways to get involve include:
- Attend at a ceremony or presentation in your community;
- Read and become aware of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action;
- Read and become aware of the National Inquiry on Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls Calls for Justice;
- Learn about Indigenous culture, traditions, and history – for some recommendations click here;
- Learn about Indigenous organizations, events, and research via Tkaronto Indigenous Portal;
- Learn about the significance of the land acknowledgments in Tkaronto; and
- Support Indigenous entrepreneurs and businesses.
There are various celebrations occurring across Toronto and in other communities across Canada to recognize and acknowledge Indigenous culture and heritage. Some events taking place in Toronto include:
- Tkaronto Music Festival – June 21 to 24, 2023 at the Stackt Market (28 Bathurst Street)
- National Indigenous Peoples Day Celebration – June 21, 2023 from 12-5pm at Student Learning Centre Amphitheatre, Toronto Metropolitan University
Falconers LLP joins our Indigenous neighbours and friends in honouring this important day, as we continue to work together in a good way on the path towards Reconciliation.